September 18, 2023
Washbasins are a focal point of your décor scheme in bathrooms and toilets. In today's post, we're bringing you tips on choosing the best washbasin, exploring various design options.
If you're designing or renovating your bathroom, it's not uncommon to be struck by doubts, especially about your overall design and how the various elements work together. Here's our rundown of the things you need to think about when choosing the perfect washbasin design for you.
– Style and design: Your washbasin will have a major impact on your overall bathroom aesthetic, so you need to get it right.
– Textures and materials: there are plenty to choose from: stone, ceramic or solid surface washbasins to name a few. If you want to inject your bathroom with character, a rough or relief texture might be the one for you.
– Colour: blue, pink, green, brown. Opting for a coloured washbasin guarantees a standout interior design scheme. You could go for a neutral tone to complement your décor, or something more vibrant with a unique design to make it the focal point.
– Shape and size: the shape and size of this bathroom essential are just as important. If you've got limited space, you need to look for a smaller washbasin. Meanwhile, washbasins with sensational, stylish forms (like the Vitae collection, designed by Zaha Hadid for Noken) are the reserve of larger bathrooms.
– Taps and accessories: it's not all about the washbasin; complementary pieces like bathroom taps and towel rails or toilet roll holders will also play a key part in your overall aesthetic. We'll get back to that later.
– Storage and organisation: some of these pieces incorporate storage in the design, or can be combined with a cabinet. Again, we'll get back to that later.
– Lighting: when you get the lighting right around (or over) your washbasin, it creates a beautiful focal point, elevating your bathroom décor scheme.
There's no shortage of bathroom washbasin styles to choose from: From sleek recessed or countertop washbasins to classic pedestal designs and minimalist undermount washbasins. Each one will give you a unique aesthetic, and the range of versatile and stylish designs available means you can adapt the size and style to your bathroom.
Countertop washbasin: this type sits on top of your countertop or bathroom unit. You can choose from a host of designs and materials. It's a good idea to pair this style with taps with a higher shaft.
Small washbasins: if you're planning a guest bathroom or any smaller space, pedestal washbasins are ideal. They don't come with a unit, and will give you sophisticated and stylish results.
Wall-mounted washbasin: these contemporary designs save space, because they're fixed to the wall. They're easier to maintain because the design gives you access to all the pipework.
Undermount countertop washbasin: These washbasins are designed to fit flush with the countertop or sunk into it, resulting in a clean look and visual continuity with the overall surface. These minimalist designs are particularly easy to clean.
Console washbasin: this type of washbasin is generally fitted over an open structure, giving you a clean and stylish look.
Double washbasin: if you want to use the bathroom at the same time as someone else, opt for a double washbasin design.
Bowl washbasin: the distinctive bowl shape of these designs makes them equally modern and aesthetically appealing.
Stone washbasins: crafted from materials like marble or granite, an exclusive and rustic appearance comes guaranteed. These are designs made to last.
Modern washbasins: if your goal is a contemporary look or styling that breaks away from the conventional, opt for straight lines and minimalist design. Choose from square, rectangular, round or oval and find the right fit for your overall bathroom style.
Bathroom units with integrated washbasins may offer extreme functionality, but you can still find one that aligns with your bathroom aesthetics. But remember, you need to think about your other bathroom elements (mirror, lighting and taps) for truly harmonious results.
Each washbasin unit comes with its own advantages and unique features. This means it's over to you; choose yours based on your taste and storage requirements. If you need more space, you can add drawers, organisers and additional shelves.
Washbasin units are a smart choice for smaller bathrooms, as they make the absolute most of your space. Integrating the washbasin into the unit gives you additional storage space - without sacrificing aesthetics.
Create a more cohesive and harmonious look with taps and accessories that tie in with your style and finish. Finding the right match of washbasin and washbasin taps is key to achieving an aesthetically appealing yet functional bathroom design.
The multitude of tap designs and types out there mean you can get just the right fit for your residential or commercial project. Some come with motion sensors, promoting hygiene and minimising the spread of germs. Others come with water-saving systems. Find out about the various tap types in this post.
Ultimately, you need to think beyond the washbasin, making sure you choose the right taps and unit to go with it. If these elements create a cohesive whole, a welcoming and relaxing ambience comes guaranteed.